International Quality of Life Month:
How To Live Your Best Life
January is #InternationalQualityofLifeMonth. This makes sense given the beginning of each year we tend to evaluate what’s working and what’s not. We create goals and identify how we’ll reach them.
There is one thing that will determine the quality of your life:
HABITS. As you think about what habits may be sabotaging your success, here are some examples of habits that don’t serve anyone:
- A lack of exercise and/or staying hydrated (maybe you prefer diet coke over water – not judging!)
- Hitting the snooze alarm several times before getting out of bed
- Working long days with no breaks (the entrepreneur/work at home mom struggle is real Y’all)
- Not spending enough time with family and friends
- Having fast-food meals (or skipping meals!)
- Taking work home with you (or moving work from one room to another)
- Having your cell phone on all.the.time.
Can you relate to any of these? As an entrepreneur, I can say that all of these have been on my list at one time or another.
Here are five ways to live your best life now:
1. Choose Your Thoughts Wisely
We can only have one thought at a time. Do you choose love or fear? Do you choose to worry or do you find things to be thankful for? When we spend time feeling worried or fearful, we are stopping all the positive in its tracks. Here are a few tips to end worry and choose joy, love, happiness, and gratitude!
a. Imagine your life one, five, ten, twenty years from now. Look into the future and realize that many of the things you’re worrying about don’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.
b. Ask yourself if you died today, would whatever you are fearful of or worried about would matter. The likelihood is the answer is NO, it wouldn’t matter.
c. As you journal, write down what you are worried about or afraid of. As you write this down, say to yourself… what I’m turning over to God/Spirit/Universe (whatever you want to call it) is xxxxx. Then, let it GO!
2. Say YES to the Right Things and NO to the Wrong Things (Learn to Create Healthy Boundaries)
Here’s how to know the difference:
SAY YES WHEN…
- Something scares you. When you are invited to do something and you know that it will stretch you and be good to help you overcome your fears, DO IT… even if you want to throw up!
- You absolutely know, feel and believe you will be a better person for it.
- Said ‘thing’ will help lift you up and be a better person or help someone else be a better person.
- It is at the heart of being of service.
- Key people around you; your support system, affirms you should say yes.
- It could be fun…you know, once you overcome the fears!
SAY NO WHEN…
- It is not in line with your goals or legacy.
- The person asking is a continual ‘taker’ of your time and energy.
- Said ‘thing’ is an energy drainer and won’t help you grow nor help those you serve.
- You know you won’t enjoy it.
- You are only considering it because you want the other person to like you.
- You simply don’t want to do it.
There is so much out there competing for our time and energy. It’s in your best interest to always stay in alignment with what serves your highest good. Creating healthy boundaries is the best way to demonstrate self-love and create sustainable habits that serve you.
3. Get Clear About Your Why and Take Imperfect Action
When I was going through cancer a fourth time, there were times I literally wanted to die or wondered how I could possibly move forward in life. Treatment kicked my butt in so many ways. However, when I dug deep, I grabbed onto my big why and the legacy I want to leave and THAT helped me get through the most difficult health challenge I’ve ever experienced. When you are grounded in your big why decisions become easier to make.
When you know your why, it’s easier to take action… imperfect action. Imperfect action is the only action we can take and is where progress is made.
4. Focus on the What and Release the How
Take your hands off the wheel. Ask yourself in what ways are you attempting to control the outcome? Once you know the “what”, let it go! So many of my clients get stuck wanting to know the ‘how’ of things. Here’s the thing about how: God/Universe/Spirit (GUS) knows the best way to accomplish your big goals. Have you ever wanted something and it arrived in a completely different way than you expected? That’s the power of the Universe. Be clear on your what and let the how unveil itself. That doesn’t mean you sit on the couch and eat bonbons. It means you take inspired action and follow your internal guidance system.
5. BE in the Moment and Exercise Radical Gratitude
Dwell on what you have right now. Being grateful and appreciating everything you have right in this moment is the key to attracting MORE of what you want into your life. Gratitude heals. Gratitude transforms lives.
If you need help creating your best year yet, I have 10 spots available for a 1:1 “Create My Best Year Yet” intensive. I’m offering this 90-minute coaching package through January 31st, 2018 for only $97. This is a HUGE savings from my typical coaching rates. I’m offering this in honor of International Quality of Life Month. Grab your spot here: PayPal.me/TandyElisala/97
Once your payment goes through, you’ll receive an email from me with a link to my schedule and a worksheet we’ll use during our time together.
Here’s a great article with 4 Tips to Stop Procrastination by my friend, Paul Stevens-Fulbrook over at TeacherofSci: https://teacherofsci.com/overcome-procrastination/
Join our Facebook community at http://www.facebook.com/groups/EmpoweredFamilyCaregiver
©Copyright 2003-Present All rights reserved
Latest posts by Tandy Elisala (see all)
- Best Family Caregiving Blogs - November 15, 2018
- Empowered Family Caregiver Interview Highlights With Christy Vacchio - November 6, 2018
- The Complete Caregiver Respite Guide You Need to Know - October 31, 2018