Here are some Most Asked Questions I get about Coaching. If you have thought about hiring a coach, here are some things to keep in mind:
1. Why is a coach so expensive? Like many other things in life, the investment to work with a coach varies. I know coaches who charge $50 an hour and I know other coaches that require an investment of over $100K a year to work with them. You are paying for RESULTS! Think about coffee makers for a moment. You can get a coffee maker for $15 and there are some that cost $2K. Crazy, right!?! The important thing about coaching and the investment is how well you connect with the person. Above and beyond their credentials, how well do you know, like and trust that they are going to help you achieve your goals? One question I ask people is what is the cost of NOT changing your situation? If you are sitting where you are a year from now and nothing has changed (or gotten worse), how are you going to feel? How will this impact your life? In my experience, most people will invest their hard earned money to work with someone who gets results for their clients. Bottom line… money is relative. I recommend talking with a prospective coach first to decide how well you’ll work with the person.
2. Why can’t I just have one session? Most people recognize that it takes longer than an hour to have long lasting change in your life. It takes longer than a day at the gym to attain your weight goals. Coaching is a process. When clients work with me, I’m open about the fact that we work together on five things. These include:
1. Get clarity and direction
2. Develop a strategic action plan
3. Upgrade skills (as needed)
4. Optimize the environment (there’s a lot to this)
5. Master your mindset (there’s a lot to this as well:0)
I work with clients for six (6) months at a time so we can really dig deep on these things and ensure long term success. A good coach will recommend working with them for a *minimum* of three (3) months. Some coaches require a 12 month commitment. I require a six (6) month commitment because it’s a process and it takes time to get results. Results depend on the quality of the coach AND the commitment and action of the client. The more committed you are to change, the better results you will experience!
3. Does this really work? Yes! Coaching absolutely, positively works! It requires the commitment of both the coach and the client. Millions of people have achieved great things while and after working with a coach. Everyone needs someone to support them. Athletes have coaches. Actresses and actors have coaches. Coaches help you see your blind spots. You don’t know what you don’t know until you know you don’t know it. Coaches help uplevel your skills and abilities… Coaches help you overcome the obstacles and challenges in your way. Coaches help give you the confidence you need to be who you truly are. Hiring a great coach will help you ultimately live a life you love and Lift Your Life to Greatness!
4. I’m busy. How much time do I need to spend with a coach? Great question. We are all busy. The question is are we spending our valuable time on the things that matter and on the things that will move us forward in life? Time with a coach varies. Some coaches spend 20 minutes a week with clients. Others spend an hour twice a month with clients. I recommend working with a coach that will create a win-win where schedules are concerned. Most coaches meet with clients via the phone or skype. I meet with clients 45 minutes a week; three times a month via phone or skype. I make myself available for a 4th meeting as needed and all clients have unlimited email access to me. Those that have invested for 6 months at a time also get unlimited mobile phone access to me. Just remember that the time you spend on YOURSELF is the best time you can possibly spend.
5. What if I change my mind and decide I don’t want to work with my coach? Coaching guarantees vary widely among coaches. Some offer no guarantees. This can be a challenging issue because the results depends on BOTH the quality of the coach AND the actions of the client. What I do is offer clients an unconditional 30-Day Happiness Guarantee! If, after 30 days of working together things aren’t shifting and clients aren’t feeling like they are moving forward with the goals we set then I will refund 100% of their investment. In my opinion, that’s a guarantee you can’t beat. To date, nobody has asked me for a refund.
6. I want to hire a coach but my spouse/partner/family doesn’t support me in this decision. What do I do? This is another terrific question. The bigger question is why doesn’t your partner/spouse/family support you? In my experience, it’s not about the coaching investment that’s the problem for someone’s support system, it’s the issue of not wanting to support someone you love to grow and be the best version of themselves they can be. What are they afraid of? Having a strong support system is wildly important. I recommend talking to them and letting them know how you feel, why you want to get coached, how your lives will be better for it and create buy in to the process. Ultimately, you have to do what’s right for you. Honor yourself above all else.
7. What qualifies someone to be a coach? Great question. The answer is it depends… What type of coach are you looking for? If you are looking for a health coach, I wouldn’t recommend hiring a business coach. If you are looking for a financial coach, I wouldn’t hire a relationship coach. Beyond this, formal training varies dramatically among coaches. While I don’t think someone must be ‘certified’ by an accredited organization to be an effective coach, my personal opinion is that having formal education helps create the processes and systems around coaching. They have a framework for coaching. The International Coaching Federation (ICF) is a reputable organization that certifies coaches. I am certified by the Success Coach Institute which is an organization approved under ICF. I am also certified in The Sedona Method; a specific type of coaching using powerful releasing strategies. I have other certifications in various other coaching and healing modalities and I have MA and BA degrees. The truth is it’s the experience someone brings to the table that matters the most. I want to know they have helped others and achieved solid results. I want them to be able to connect with me. I believe the ideal coach has personal experience, coaching skills and experience, and education blended together.
8. Can’t I just get a group coaching program and experience the changes I need that way? Group coaching programs can be powerful and profound and you can certainly get information, tips, and tools you need to move forward in life through the right group coaching program. However, there is no substitute for the deep kind of no bull crap, be your cheerleader and accountability partner, complete focus on YOU and YOUR LIFE than working 1:1 with a coach. Group programs are a great place to start when you want to get to know a coach better and learn their style. It can be something you invest in before getting to the point of hiring a coach 1:1. If you are looking for rapid change and access to a coach’s brain (and their whole heart) hiring a coach is the best way to go. About the heart thing… I believe that for me to be fully present with my clients and honor their needs, I need to be fully vested in them…in their success. This means being vulnerable and having a certain level of intimacy required to create client transformation. This means bringing my whole heart to the table along with my skills, talents, and abilities. Clients benefit from my 25 years’ leadership experience in corporate America, 10+ years as a coach, 10 years as a university faculty member teaching leadership, strategic planning, and human resource management, my 6 years as a Certified Franklin Covey Facilitator in seven (7) content areas; including the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Leadership and Trust curriculum. Clients also benefit from all my formal and informal education and vast life experience as a single mother, cancer survivor, unexpected full-time caregiver for both parents, experience with traumatic brain injury and mental illness, divorce, other health challenges, weight release (loss), financial ruin, layoff, best selling author and more. When hiring me as your coach, you get access to everything I have ever studied and done and everything that I am.
If you are interested in learning more about how coaching can help you in your life and Lift Your Life to Greatness, I encourage you to schedule your FREE 60 minute Rapid Change Coaching Session with me. We’ll dig deep and get clear about your goals, identify what specifically you need to do and you will leave our coaching session empowered and inspired to take action. My goal is that transformation happens during our very.first.call. I’m about being of service for you and I am committed to you getting as much as possible from our time together. Guaranteed! Grab your spot here: https://tandyelisala.acuityscheduling.com/schedule.php?appointmentType=category:FREE+Rapid+Change+Coaching+Session
The minute you make the decision and schedule your FREE session, you will likely notice shifts happening already. Love yourself enough and let’s create a kick-ass year… and life together. I have a limited number of FREE spots available. Secure your spot now.
It’s YOUR turn: Have you ever hired a coach? What did you look for when hiring them? What results did you get? What is the most important thing about someone when looking to hire them to lead you to the results you want? Please comment below.