52 Weeks of Happiness: Week Five
My best life decisions to date! Oh my… let me count the ways:-)
This is week 5 of “52 Lists for Happiness: Weekly Journaling Inspiration for Positivity, Balance, and Joy”, by Moorea Seal. This week is about creating a list of the best life choices you have made to date.
I’m going to share mine with you and hope it will inspire you to create your own list.
My best life decisions to date:
1. The very first one is the decision and choice I made to live in Arizona when I first got engaged. My boyfriend at the time asked me to marry him but he lived in California. I moved to Arizona with my parents when I was 17 so when he asked me to marry him I said yes…and we need to live in Arizona!
At the time I was fresh out of high school and I didn’t have a college education. The cost of living in California was astronomical. I said to him that I wanted to raise a family in Arizona, not California. I felt like the cost of living in California would have prevented us from being in the area we would have wanted to raise our kids in. This was decades ago and at the time this was one of the best decisions I made.
2. Another great decision that I made was joining Job’s Daughters International. It’s a fraternal youth organization for girls ages 10-20 and I was 11 years old at the time I joined. Job’s Daughters helped me build my confidence, my character, public speaking skills, and planning, budgeting and leadership skills. I really loved it and was active in it until I got married at 19. This was an amazing organization that helped me be who I am today.
3. The next choice would have been marring my then husband, followed by having my kids who are the light of my life. Although we are divorced, had I not married him, my AHmazing kids wouldn’t be who they are.
4. The next best choice I made in my life was to work at the University of Phoenix. I started working there three weeks after Amanda was born in 1989. I quickly rose through the ranks and served as an executive most of that time. My time there was priceless.
Working at the University of Phoenix and being able to serve and help it grow from about 13,000 students to almost half a million students really helped me grow. I also taught leadership, strategic planning, and organizational development there for ten years. I had some tremendous mentors and a ton of fun while I was there.
5. My next best move was getting my education. Both my Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees were instrumental in my growth in corporate America.
6. This next decision, which may sound kind of odd, was my decision to get a divorce. We grew apart and it was the right thing to do for myself and for my kids. Had I not had the courage to step out and work through the issues that we were having, I wouldn’t have really grown spiritually. That was when I became spiritual awake and my true life journey really began. So that was a really significant, pivotal point in my life.
7. My next great decision was buying a house. The house I bought was on the same street as the elementary school, middle school and the high school. I did that by design because I knew I was working that stressful corporate job and I needed to know that the kids were ok and could walk home after school. That perfect house at that perfect time in that perfect place served us well for 14 years.
8. My next best decision, and probably one of my top life decisions thus far was the decision to take care of my parents. We took care of them for 2 ½ years until their respective deaths in 2012. Helping them live and die with dignity and grace, and helping them hone their legacy was truly one of the greatest honors of my life.
9. Another big, best choice was leaving the University of Phoenix. After 21 years it was difficult, yet that was the time when my parents needed me to take care of them. Subsequently this was a time when a lot of regulations changed, enrollments dropped and there were a lot of tough times for University of Phoenix and higher education in general. So it was probably best that I was not there during that time.
10. Listening to my intuition; my angels, my guides, my spiritual mentor was the next best choice. What books to read and when, teachers and people that came into my life at the perfect time, all helped me to develop the skill of listening to my intuition which has served me well in my life and in my business.
11. Another great decisions was to write a book, “Healing Through the Chaos” and have since been a collaborative author in six best-selling books. I have another book coming out at the end of this year.
12. I kicked cancer’s ass four times. FOUR TIMES, people! If you know me you know how challenging of a time that was and yet I did it, I’m in remission and life is good. DECIDING I was in it to LIVE was THE best decision I’ve made in my life so far. Had I not done this and followed my heart on the last leg of the cancer journey to heal, I don’t know if I would be here.
13. Another great decision is that I’ve hired coaches to help me and my business. That was the best investment I could’ve made and significantly helped me in so many ways.
14. Last but not least was my decision to start my business, Center for Inspiring Greatness. I started it a long time ago and it has gone through a lot of changes. Initially it was about general life coaching, then it was about healing through hypnosis, Reiki and tapping. Then it was about care-giving. Then it changed into helping building resistance through tough times. Now I’ve evolved and have really married all of that together and am focusing on leadership.
If I had not made all the decisions that I mentioned I would not be the person I am today.
It’s Your Turn: I recommend writing down your top 10 (or 14 or 20 list – lol) list. Once you have made your list take five minutes each morning before you start your day and give thanks for the joy, for trusting your inner wisdom and for your decisions. Know that each decision was for your highest good. Having that gratitude will bring more things into your life to be thankful for. I really believe that.
I would love to hear from you. What are the best choices you have made in your life so far? Please comment below!
Tandy lives in Tempe, Arizona, with her three kids and amazing angel dog. Order Tandy'sbooks at http://www.tandyelisala.com or www.amazon.com.
Discover your leadership style with this free quiz at bit.ly/leadershipstylequiz.
Join our engaged facebook community at http://www.facebook.com/groups/womenpreneurleadershiprockstars
©Copyright 2003-Present All rights reserved
Latest posts by Tandy Elisala (see all)
- 52 Weeks of Happiness: Week Seven- Greatest Compliments Ever Received - March 21, 2017
- 20 Consequences of Being Out of Integrity - March 16, 2017
- 52 Weeks of Happiness: Week Six-What Are Blocks To YOUR Happiness? - March 14, 2017