12 Laws of Leadership : Law of Influence
Let’s talk about the Law of Influence!
Today, we are talking about the law of influence. John Maxwell has an amazing quote:
“Leadership is influence, nothing more, nothing less.” John Maxwell
I really love this because your ability to expand your impact and influence depends on your ability to empower others. You’ve got to empower others and help lift others up before you can experience that expansion.Your ability to expand your impact and influence depends on your ability to empower others. Click To Tweet
Three Reasons the Law of Influence Is Critical
- The first reason is that everyone wants to feel heard, understood, and appreciated.
- The second reason is people bring their whole hearts to work every day, and great leaders get things done through other people. Influence is built on trust. It’s creating that human connection that we all strive for.
- The third reason is that leadership influence is built upon making others successful. When you think about influence, ask yourself, ‘How can I make this person successful? How can I help them be successful?’ Take action towards these things.
Here’s a personal experience. When people know you truly care, they will move mountains for you. We’re going to talk a little bit further about authority versus influence. I believe that if you have influence, authority is implied because people will want to do things to help you. There’s five types of influence, which we’ll talk about in another post.
My point with this is when I meet somebody and before I even know if there’s anything that they can do for me, I’m focused on what I can do for them. How can I help them as a person… as a leader? Even when we’re not working projects together or anything like that, I would still go and connect with them and continue that connection. And do you know what would happen next time a project came across their desk with my name on it? They’d be like, “Oh my gosh, yes, we’ve got to get this done for Tandy.”
I had a lot of influence… effective influence, because regardless of my title, regardless of my job, regardless of my “authority”, influence for me was about expanding my influence beyond the people that I directly led and managed. The more that you can have that expanded circle, the larger your influence is. It’s all truly through caring about others.People don't care what you know until they know you TRULY CARE about them as a person. Click To Tweet
Remember that your legacy will be seen in those you have influenced throughout your life. I encourage you to take a look at that and see what one step you can take to demonstrate empowering others and lifting others up. Here are some quick tips:
- Show others how much you care.
- Demonstrate active listening.
- Give kudos.
- Demonstrate appreciation.
Where can you exercise greater influence? What step can you take today to demonstrate greater impact?Remember that your legacy will be seen in those you have influenced throughout your life. Click To Tweet
If you are ready to bust through your limiting beliefs and blocks preventing you from being a legacy leader…
If you are bold and brilliant and know you need accountability to realize your dreams and grow your business…
If you are ready to expand your influence and impact and share your gifts with the world the way only you can…
Then, let’s hop on a call and see what’s holding you back or slowing you down and create an action plan. Schedule your FREE Leadership Strategy Session HERE!
Join our facebook community at http://www.facebook.com/groups/cancerthriversupportcommunity
©Copyright 2003-Present All rights reserved
Latest posts by Tandy Elisala (see all)
- The 15 BEST Quotes To Help Get Through Cancer - January 18, 2018
- International Quality of Life Month: How To Live Your Best Life - January 16, 2018
- The Truth About Problems That Will Make You Think Differently About Life - January 9, 2018